Professor Richard Nisbett has research interests in judgment and reasoning, causal attribution, inference, personality theory, evolutionary theory, diversity and multiculturalism, and cultural differences in attitudes, behavior, and basic cognitive processes.
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Causal Attribution
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Evolution and Genetics
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Person Perception
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Social Cognition
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Gilovich, T., Keltner, D., & Nisbett, R. (2010). Social psychology (2nd ed.). New York: W. W. Norton.
- Holland, J. H., Holyoak, K. J., Nisbett, R. E., & Thagard, P. (1986). Induction: Processes of inference, learning, and discovery. Cambridge, MA: Bradford Books/The MIT Press. [Translated into Japanese.]
- Jones, E. E., Kanouse, D. E., Kelley, H. H., Nisbett, R. E., Valins, S., & Weiner, B. (1972). Attribution: Perceiving the causes of behavior. New York: General Learning Press.
- Nisbett, R. E. (2003). The geography of thought: How Asians and Westerners think differently ... and why. New York: The Free Press. [Editions also in print or in preparation for the U. K. and Commonwealth countries, China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Italy and Turkey.]
- Nisbett, R. E. (1992). Rules for reasoning. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Nisbett, R. E., & Cohen, D. (1996). Culture of honor: The psychology of violence in the South. Denver, CO: Westview Press.
- Nisbett, R. E., & Ross, L. D. (1980). Human inference: Strategies and shortcomings of social judgment. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall. [Translated into Italian, Korean.]
- Ross, L. D., & Nisbett, R. E. (2011). The person and the situation: Perspectives of social psychology (2nd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Choi, I., Nisbett, R. E., & Norenzayan, A. (1999). Causal attribution across cultures: Variation and universality. Psychological Bulletin, 125, 47-63.
- Cohen, D., & Nisbett, R. E. (1994). Self-protection and the culture of honor: Explaining southern violence. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 20, 551-567.
- Ji, L., Nisbett, R. E., & Su, Y. (2001). Culture, change and prediction. Psychological Science, 12, 450-456.
- Nisbett, R. E. (1993). Violence and U.S. regional culture. American Psychologist, 48, 441-449.
- Nisbett, R. E., Caputo, C., Legant, P., & Marecek, J. (1973). Behavior as seen by the actor and as seen by the observer. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 27, 154-164.
- Nisbett, R. E., Krantz, D. H., Jepson, D., & Kunda, Z. (1983). The use of statistical heuristics in everyday reasoning. Psychological Review, 90, 339-363.
- Nisbett, R. E., & Wilson, T. D. (1977). Telling more than we can know: Verbal reports on mental processes. Psychological Review, 84, 231-259.
Richard E. Nisbett
Department of Psychology
East Hall, University of Michigan
530 Church Street
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109
- Phone: (734) 764-8360
- Fax: (734) 647-9940